How Much Does OnlyFans Take From Creators? Subs, PPV, Tips

OnlyFans works on a profit-sharing model. You sell content, and OnlyFans takes a small cut of each sale. Sounds simple enough, but there's a lot more going on behind the scenes. There are ways to monetize your page that don't involve paying OnlyFans a cut, and some creators try to avoid the fee entirely. Keep reading to learn how the revenue split works, whether there are any hidden charges, and how to maximize your profits.
OnlyFans|April 13, 2024|5 min read
How much does OnlyFans take from creators? OnlyFans takes 20% of your revenue, leaving you with 80%.

What percentage does OnlyFans take from creators?

OnlyFans keeps 20% of creators' revenue and sends them the remaining 80%. So, if you earn $100, OnlyFans will keep $20 and add $80 to your balance, which you can then withdraw.

How much does OnlyFans cost? You give up 20% of all revenue generated on the platform. How much does OnlyFans cost? You give up 20% of all revenue generated on the platform.

The 20% cut is OnlyFans' share for:

  • Letting you use their platform.
  • Allowing you to host the content on their servers.
  • Providing you with live support.
  • Processing your payments.
  • And other services like help with DMCA takedowns.

A 20% share might seem excessive at first, especially if you're not used to the revenue-sharing business model. But just to put the numbers into perspective:

  • Twitch takes a 70% cut from the ad, subscription, and donation revenue earned by streamers.
  • YouTube takes a 45% cut from the ad revenue earned by its creators.
  • Fansly takes a 20% cut, just like OnlyFans.
  • ManyVids takes a 20 or 40% cut depending on what's sold.
  • Patreon takes the lowest cut, at just under 5%.

So if you compare the OnlyFans percentage cut of 20% to all these other mainstream platforms, it's pretty reasonable.

Does OnlyFans take a percentage of tips?

Yes, OnlyFans takes a 20% cut from your tips too.

The 80-20 OnlyFans revenue split applies to everything you earn on the platform, including the money you make from your monthly subs, selling PPV content, and tips.

Ways to monetize your page without paying fees

There are some ways to monetize your page that don't involve paying a cut to OnlyFans:

  • Partner up with a merchandising company or sell your own merch.
  • Try affiliate marketing. Review trendy products from Amazon or other websites and encourage your audience to buy through your link. You get a commission on each sale.
  • If you're in good shape, create a fitness program your subs can buy.
  • Seek out sponsorships and brand deals - they tend to pay very well.

But to fully tap into these extra income sources, you need to have built a decent following.

Can you avoid paying OnlyFans creator fees?

Some creators try to avoid paying OnlyFans cut by asking for payment off-platform, via apps like PayPal and Venmo.

But this will only land you in trouble.

First, your conversations on OnlyFans are monitored, and using certain words can flag your account for suspicious activity.

PayPal and Venmo are included in the list of banned words, as are most third-party payment apps.

OnlyFans will find out what you're up to very quickly. If you're found asking for payment off-platform, you could be suspended or banned.

Second, PayPal (and most payment apps) doesn't allow you to send or receive money for anything related to sex work, including adult content.

So it just isn't worth the trouble. The OnlyFans payout percentage of 80% is great by industry standards, and you also get plenty of privacy and safety features.

How much can you earn after OnlyFans platform fees?

The 20% cut applies to all your earnings. So, just to illustrate how much you can realistically profit on OnlyFans after their fee is deducted from your earnings:

  • Monthly subs. You should price your monthly sub at $10 or below when you first start out. Assuming you do, this will net you $8 per sub per month.
  • Tips. A $5 tip will net you $4. You should create a tip menu and pin it to your profile to get more tips.
  • PPV. Top creators charge as much as several hundred dollars for a single video. Assuming you sell a video for $50, you get to keep $40 from that sale.

Your earnings initially get transferred to a holding account, and then to your current balance. The payout process can take over a week.

The average creator earns $180 a month from subscriptions to their OnlyFans. Given the 20% OnlyFans commission rate, the average net earnings come out to roughly $150 a month. You also have to pay taxes, which further decreases your income.

Most creators make under $500 after OnlyFans fees. Most creators make under $500 after OnlyFans fees.

This may be lower than what you had hoped for, but keep in mind that this is only the income from monthly subs. PPV and tips aren't included, and they make a huge difference.

You can realistically make a lot more - several thousand dollars a month is very achievable if you play your cards right. Niche down, produce quality content, and promote yourself aggressively.

How much does OnlyFans cost to start?

You can start your page on OnlyFans for free. All you need is a smartphone to shoot and upload content with, a valid government-issued ID for verification purposes, and a bank account to receive your earnings.

Signing up, getting verified, and setting up your creator account is completely free.

Once your account is set up, you can start uploading content to your wall. The fastest way to get your first few subscribers is to promote yourself on social media, like Reddit or Instagram.

Only after you get your first sub or PPV sale and start making money will you have to pay OnlyFans a 20% commission.

While it's possible to start with just a phone - and most creators do - consider investing in basic camera and lighting equipment to produce better content if you have the funds. You can get a solid ring light for under $50, but a decent camera will set you back a few hundred dollars.

How to earn more

The key to success on OnlyFans is effective promotion. You can do everything right - find your niche, produce stellar content, and put in effort towards fan interactions - but if you don't promote yourself, you won't gain many subs at all.

You should try Reddit for promotion. It has thousands of adult communities about all sorts of topics. No matter what your niche is, there's a community with your exact target audience out there. Promote there to draw users to your OnlyFans, and if they like what they see, they'll subscribe.

The only problem? Promotion takes time and consistent effort. And it can get pretty repetitive over the long run.

Use Social Rise to schedule your Reddit posts. You'll automate your Reddit promotion activities, save hours of your precious time, and gain new subs on autopilot.

No credit card needed
Sign in with Reddit
Post in minutes

FAQs about OnlyFans fees for creators

How much of a cut does OnlyFans take?

OnlyFans takes a 20% cut from your earnings. This fee applies to all sources of income on the platform, including monthly subscriptions, PPV sales, custom content, and even tips.

How much does OnlyFans take from subs?

OnlyFans takes 20% of the money you earn from active monthly subscriptions to your page. If your monthly subscription is priced at $10, you'll only get $8, and OnlyFans will keep $2.

Is OnlyFans free for creators?

OnlyFans is free for creators to join and start. There are no fees associated with signing up or creating an account. But once you begin making money, OnlyFans will take 20% of your earnings as their fee for letting you use their platform.

Conclusion: How much does OnlyFans take from creators?

  • What percentage does OnlyFans take? OnlyFans keeps 20% of your earnings and sends you 80%.
  • How much does OnlyFans take from tips? Unfortunately, the revenue split applies to tips too. OnlyFans takes a 20% cut from your tips.
  • How much does OnlyFans cost for creators? It costs nothing to start. Signing up is free. You pay a commission to OnlyFans when you make money, so you never have to pay OnlyFans out of your own pocket.
  • There's a lot of money to be made on OnlyFans if you know what you're doing. Use Social Rise to set up promotion campaigns on Reddit and get new subs daily.
Thanks for reading!
If you enjoyed this post, please help us by sharing it with others.
Read Also
Read other posts from our blog about Reddit and OnlyFans.
"better than any other scheduler I've tried!"

Get more OnlyFans subs on Reddit in less time

Post in half the time, get on the hot page, easily manage content and automate promotion.
Start free. No credit card needed.
No sign-up. Authorize via Reddit.
Easy to use. Post right away.